Tuesday 17 September 2013

A New Dawn a New Deity

I was thinking of starting a new religion.  I’ve given it a lot of thought and I think I’ve got all the elements required:

·     I’ve imagined that I’ve had exclusive communications with an omnipotent deity that sees all, knows all and has expressed a complete intolerance of other religions and/or deities.  The deity has instructed me to go out into the world and recruit gullible and disenfranchised people and persuade them to blindly follow me along the path of stupidity sorry I meant righteousness.  First though I’ve had to compose some absurd membership rules (the more ridiculous the better otherwise nobody will take my religion seriously); then I have to write a very long book with lots of stories seeking to, (a) justify each of the rules, and (b) threaten eternal damnation on those who disobey them (sorry I borrowed that last bit from of a couple of existing faiths).  Here are the rules, in no particular order:

o   Gender.  Randomly select a whole section of the population and classify them as second-class beings.  I’ve chosen women, I know it’s been done before but I’m a bloke and it was my choice so it was a bit of a no-brainer.

o   Hair.  Decide on a stupid haircut, the more impractical the better.  I decided that the right side of the head should be completely shaved and the left allowed to grow to waist length.  This is for men only, I don’t like bald women.  Facial hair is only allowed on the right side opposite to the head hair.

o   Genital Mutilation.  (This one was difficult since circumcision male and female had been done before and I didn’t want to be accused of too much copying).  After a great deal of thought I’ve decided to go with penile piercing.  Yes I know that will be uncomfortable at first, but it has the potential for making life uncomfortable for women and gay men and that seems to be the order of the day with most religions.  Clitoral piercing can be optional but only for girls of 16 and over and if conducted by a male priest in the presence of the whole family and invited guests (I wouldn’t want it to seem weird or anything).

o   Homosexuality.  At first I was tempted to ban homosexuality but everyone does that and I couldn’t think of any appropriate stories that would be good for my book when I write it so I thought, whatever let’s go with it.

o   Sex.  I thought about this one for a long time and in the end (as it’s necessary for procreation), I decided to allow it but instruct priests to make people guilty for doing it.  I’m confident that I can think of some interesting stories for my big book.

o   Iconic Symbol.  All successful religions have a symbol, crosses, moons and stars have all been used so decided to go with the question mark.  It will keep people guessing and will be frequently used and therefore brought to mind and Spanish people can even use it upside down.  I can explain that it represents the mystery of life.

o   Food.  Now I love my grub so I was a bit reluctant on this one, but convention has it that there has to be some sort of culinary restriction, so after a great deal of consideration I’ve decided that the holy faith dish will be hamburger or kebab eaten with alcohol on Saturdays between midday and midnight; but that Brussels sprouts and broccoli will be declared the food of the Devil (that last bit should be popular with younger generation).

o   Clothing.  Now most of the silly forms of clothing have already been adopted so I was a little bit stuck on this.  The Mormons have already done underwear, the Muslims pyjamas, and the followers of Judaism have got overcoats; so I’ve gone for socks.  People are to wear one blue and one mauve whenever outdoors except when swimming.  Women can be excused hosiery under the age of thirty but only if they shave their legs.

o   Behaviour.  Basically much the same as everybody else’s but with a few amendments, additions and omissions.  Don’t follow other religions or pray to any deity than the one recommended by me.  Don’t kill, steal, or lie.  Don’t have it away with other people’s life partners.  Look after your mum and dad.  Take at least one day a week off to chillax.  Try to remember that children are only children so try not use them as unpaid labour or sex toys.  (This list is not exhaustive and I may wish to amend or add to it at a later date).

o   Headwear.  Once again the competition has hoovered up the most of the really good examples like bits of cloth wrapped round the head, homburgs, female balaclavas and little knitted coasters.  So I’ve gone a bit radical here and opted for a unisex pink bandana.

o   Days of the week.  We have to have a holy day so I’ve chosen Wednesday to try to break the week up a bit.

o   Priests.  I was going to stick celibacy in here but none of the others obey that one so I didn’t see the point.  I’ve opted for male priests just to wind the women up and get a bit of controversy going.

o   These rules aren’t set in stone (did you see what I did there?), I anticipate that the priests will use their imaginations and develop ways to make them even more ridiculous.  Given time I imagine other rules will be added and regional spin off branches of my religion will adapt them so they have a reason to kill each other over who is right.

·         Prophet.  As founding member of the religion and author of the big book it’s only right that I should be the prophet.  I needed a name and obviously it needed to be distinctive and original.  ‘Colin’ was obviously not going to hack it as a guide to Paradise, so and after a great deal of deliberation I’ve opted for ‘Jemojebu’.
I think I’ve covered most things, but if something else comes up I can always have another one of my exclusive conversations with our deity and pass on any revelations that come up.  All I've got to do now is write the big book.  Let me see, "In the beginning...."

No comments: